Many people are conscious about their smile especially if they aren’t happy with their teeth. Only few are lucky to be born with a picture-perfect smile. The good news is that it is still possible for others to get a perfect smile. Braces provide the perfect solution. The reasons why people wear braces vary including:
- Overlapping crowded or crooked teeth
- Too much gap between teeth
- Aesthetic reasons
- Overbite or underbite
- Improved mouth comfort
Are you considering getting braces Irmo SC for any of the above reasons? Book an appointment with Davis Orthodontics. Their skilled orthodontists would customize braces according to your needs and take care of your oral issues.
How do braces help?
Braces work by straitening and aligning teeth and also improve dental health. Braces apply continuous pressure on teeth over a period of time and gradually align teeth in a particular direction. Due to the pressure applied, the bone changes shape too. Dentists generally fix basic alignment problems while orthodontists are specialized in correcting teeth irregularities.
There are various types of braces available. Understand your needs before making a decision about braces.
- Appearance: Is it important to you that your braces aren’t visible to others?
- Cost: Are you on a budget?
- Speed: Do you want the treatment duration since you have an important event coming up?
- Complexity: Your doctor says your teeth are too crooked which makes your case complicated.
Assess the pros and cons of each type of braces:
While weighing down the pros and cons keep the above prioritized factor in mind.
Types of braces:
Traditional braces: These metal braces are made with high-grade stainless steel. Brackets are fixed to the front of the teeth. There is an archwire and rings holding the brackets in place. Dentist tightens the archwire and replaces the elastic rings periodically. It is a popular choice among young patients as colourful rings can be fitted.
- Highly effective for complex tooth and jaw issues
- Less expensive
- It is prominently noticeable which causes older patient to shy away from opting for it
- They have to be worn throughout the treatment duration
This is the least commonly used braces and is affixed at the back of the teeth.
- Isn’t visible to others
- Difficult to clean
- Effective in only minor cases
Initially known as clear braces, ceramic braces have the same size and shape of traditional braces but match the color of teeth.
- Less visibly evident
- Offers faster results when compared to Invisalign
- Expensive than metal braces
- Brackets are prone to stains
Invisalign: It is popular among the older patients because of its discreet nature. It consists of a series of 18 to 30 custom made clear plastic aligners resembling a mouth guard.
- Less visible
- No food and beverage restrictions as it can be removed while consuming food
- Not effective for all cases
Consider all the options before deciding on the braces. Your orthodontist will help you choose the right one for your needs.