Vision problems would occur gradually, depending on the person’s overall health history, diet, and lifestyle. It’s uncomfortable and frustrating to lose your clear eyesight, especially for those who don’t develop any noticeable symptoms until the eye disease has turned severe.
Because of that, you must take better care of your eyes, and it isn’t only by seeing your eye doctor in Avon IN! There is no one best way to take care of our eyes, as there are numerous practical tips to follow. Here are some of them:
1. Have a healthy diet
Eye health and your overall health heavily rely on what you consume. It’s essential to have a healthy diet filled with the following nutrients:
- Lutein is an essential nutrient you can find in green leafy vegetables and eggs.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are essential to help with your immune system, nervous system, eye health, and fuel cells. You can find this nutrient in most coldwater fish.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant you can find in many fruits and vegetables, and studies show it can help lower the risk of cataracts.
- Vitamin E is another powerful antioxidant you can find in sweet potatoes, nuts, and fortified cereals. It can protect the cells in our eyes from free radicals.
- Zinc helps bring in vitamin A from our liver to the retina.
2. Wear adequate eye protection
Wear UV-blocking sunglasses whenever you’re outside, which prevents eye damage caused by the sun. If you play sports or work with hazardous materials and power tools, use safety goggles to avoid eye-related injuries or debris and chemicals from getting into your eyes.
3. Quit smoking
Smoking has numerous adverse health effects, including on our eyes. Studies show that smokers are more likely to develop eye conditions like cataracts, optic nerve damage, and macular degeneration. So, if you are smoking, this is your sign to quit. If you haven’t started it, never attempt smoking for the sake of your health.
4. Take computer breaks
Many jobs require us to look at our computer and phone screens for hours on end. This can put a lot of strain on our eyes, causing dry eyes, headaches, body pain, and digital eye strain.
Take a break from work every 20 minutes or so to stand up, stretch, and focus your gaze someplace else to prevent those uncomfortable symptoms. This prevents eye fatigue and leaves you feeling better.
5. Get regular eye exams
Whether you’re a child or adult, with perfect vision or not, it’s crucial to have a regular, affordable eye exam from clinics like Dr. Tavel Family Eye Care. When you get your eyes checked every year, you can prevent or catch eye diseases early to have them treated immediately, rather than have it leave you with permanent vision damage.
For instance, glaucoma conditions can present without warning signs or symptoms, and only an eye exam can help detect it.
Wrapping It Up
To ensure your eyes remain healthy and in excellent condition, follow the tips above!